In the process of developing the ISSS of Sofia, leading were the following principles, which guarantee the success of the application and implementation of the Strategy:
• Integrated approach at the heart of the Strategy to incorporate priorities, objectives, ideas, resources, participants and investments, in order to turn the plan into a reliable tool for sustainable development of the capital city.
• Partnership and teamwork in conflict resolution and attaining consensus, in communication and the sharing of information, knowledge and ideas, in achieving synergy and effective management.
• Coherence and coordination among the members of the working group and all stakeholders, such as civil society organizations, institutions, and businesses that participated in the consultation process. The principle applies also to the binding with strategic documents and plans at different hierarchical levels. The process of drafting the document included close cooperation with experts and initiatives on the further development of the ISSS of Bulgaria.
• Publicity, transparency and civic participation – Sofia's ISSS is being developed on a broad public basis and has been discussed and consulted in 50 forums, working groups.
• Ethics, integrity and protection of the public interest with organizational
culture and behaviour based on moral principles.
The process of developing the Strategy is structured in three stages. During the working process, an excellent partnership was established with the team at the Ministry of Economy, which works on updating the national ISSS of Bulgaria. This cooperation ensures the full compatibility and integration of the two documents.
First stage of the consultative process: discussion on the draft structure and scope of the ISIS of Sofia.
23 February 2015, Sofia Municipality - discussion on the structure and scope of the Strategy with members of the Expert Council on Science, Technology and Innovation, set up at the office of the Mayor of Sofia Municipality.
23 March 2015, Sofia Municipality - discussion on the structure and scope of the Strategy with members of the Business Council, set up at the office of the Mayor of Sofia Municipality.
26 March 2015, Sofia Municipality - presentation of the Strategy's structure at the forum of the Bulgarian Communications Agencies.
April 2015 - meetings with representatives of employer organizations.
5 April 2015, Higher School of Insurance and Finance (HSIF) - discussion on the structure and scope of the Strategy at a conference entitled "In the Footsteps of the Israeli Innovation Model", organized by the Higher School of Insurance and Finance and the Embassy of Israel
5 May 2015 - discussion on the structure and scope of the Strategy during an international seminar with representatives of creative and re-creative industries INNOVATION. FESTIVAL. CITY
12 May 2015, Ministry of Economy - presenting the experience of Sofia during a working meeting with district governors on updating the ISSS of Bulgaria, organized by the Ministry of Economy.
26 May 2015, Bulgarian Academy of Sciences - participation in a discussion on creative industries, organized by the Ministry of Economy team, which worked on the updating of the ISSS.
10 June 2015, Bulgarian Academy of Sciences - presentation of the structure and scope of Sofia's ISIS during a discussion on the updating of the ISSS of Bulgaria, organized by the Ministry of Economy.
Second stage of the consultative process (June - July 2015):
Development of the strategic document and consultation by organizing public discussions and online campaigns. Presentation of the strategic document and discussions in the standing committees of the Sofia Municipal Council.
Third stage of the consultative process (August - September):
Publication of the final document on the website of the Sofia Municipal Council and final online consultations.